STREAMING VIDEO 101
What is streaming video?
Streaming video refers to entertainment delivered via the internet rather than a traditional cable TV connection.
What equipment do I need?
To enjoy streaming video, you need:
- Fast and reliable internet.
- A streaming device such as:
- an Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, or Roku Streaming Stick that is connected to your TV and WiFi. Streaming devices include a universal remote control to sync with your TV.
- a Smart TV that is connected to the internet.
- A tablet, laptop, or smartphone connected to WiFi or data.
- A subscription to a streaming service or channels such as Netflix, Disney Plus, YouTube Live, HBO Max, Prime Video, or ESPN Plus.
How do I subscribe?
Subscribing to new streaming channels and services is simple. Once you have your streaming-capable device connected to the internet and have set up an account, you can then navigate to the app menu on your device and select the desired service or channel to preview. Information such as a description of the service and monthly cost will be included. To subscribe, you choose the desired service and agree to subscribe.
What channels or TV shows are included with a streaming service?
Services like https://mybundle.tv make it simple to view channels included. Navigate to “Find My Bundle” enter basic information such as who is watching, your zip code, preferences, and favorite channels, and it will make a recommendation for you. You can even search for your favorite TV show to find new ways to watch it via streaming. Select “TV Shows & Movies” from the top menu to search for a specific show like Gunsmoke. You can also visit the website of particular streaming providers such as YouTube Live or Hulu Live and browse the individual channel lineups.
What are the benefits of streaming video?
- Cost savings. One of the main reasons people switch to TV streaming is to cut costs. Many free streaming channels are available, including Peacock Free, Pluto TV, and Crackle. Netflix is less than $20 per month and is the most popular choice for movies and binge-watching TV. Disney+ is a highly rated service for family-friendly content, costing less than $10 per month. Services with a channel lineup similar to traditional TV are available, including YouTube Live, Hulu Live, and Sling. These services are generally $20-$30 less per month than similar offerings from cable TV providers.
- Convenience. Streaming TV lets you enjoy the services or channels you subscribe to in multiple places and on various devices. Unlike traditional TV, with most subscription streaming services, you can start a movie on your Smart TV at home, continue watching it on your smartphone while working out at the gym, and then finish it on your tablet out on your patio.
- Skip the commercials. Many of the most popular subscription streaming services let you watch your favorite shows whenever you want and are completely commercial-free!
What types of streaming services are available?
- On-Demand streaming. On-Demand streaming allows the subscriber to watch a selected movie or TV show whenever he or she likes. Many On-Demand providers allow viewers to pause, play, fast-forward, rewind, or rewatch shows as often as they like. Popular On-Demand providers include Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime Video.
- Live streaming. Live video streaming lets subscribers watch live entertainment like local news, sports, and TV shows. Features such as video recording, pause, and rewind vary by provider. Popular live streaming platforms include Twitch, YouTube Live, and Hulu Live.
- On-Demand and live streaming. Many providers with live streaming also offer On-Demand content. This means you can watch live shows as they are broadcast, go back and watch them later or browse On-Demand content to watch whenever you like.
For more questions about streaming, WiFi, and fast internet, call CTC at 208-229-1000!
While it certainly cannot replace good old-fashioned conversations at the neighborhood bakery or han...
It was our pleasure to meet Gene and Patti this month at their beautiful new home.
Have You Seen These People?
Our world is becoming increasingly more wireless. Here are some things you can do to keep your WiFi...