Low-Income Assistance Programs consist of two programs, Lifeline Assistance and the Idaho Telephone Service Assistance Program (ITSAP). These programs were developed to reduce rates for low income customers. CTC participates in both of these assistance programs to increase the availability of telecommunications services to all consumers in its serving areas.
Lifeline is a reduction or credit in the local service charges normally paid by qualifying low-income consumers. The reduction to the normal residential one-party rates are as follows:
- Residential Access Lines Monthly Credit Federal Lifeline Support $9.25 (includes Federal End User Common Line Credit of $6.50 and $2.75 credit covers basic service)
- State Local Rate Support (ITSAP) $2.50
You will be able to apply your monthly Lifeline discount towards internet service. If you would like to switch to our internet plan from the landline service, please call us at 208-257-3314.
You can continue to apply your monthly Lifeline discounts to your home phone, but you can only receive a discount on ONE option – phone or internet.
How to qualify for a Lifeline discount
You must participate in at least one of the following programs to be eligible for a Lifeline Program discount:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit Program
- Income below the Federal Poverty guideline
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribally-administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
- Food Distribution on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- HEAD Start
If you signed up for a Lifeline discount through the National School Lunch Program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), or any other state-run program, you will be asked to confirm your enrollment in one of the above, eligible programs when you do your next eligibility confirmation. These three programs no longer qualify for the federal $9.25 lifeline support on December 2, 2016.
In those areas where we do not offer speeds at or above 10/1 download/upload speeds, we will provide the highest performing, which must be at least 4/1 download/upload.
If you decide to apply your monthly Lifeline discount to your internet service, you must remain with internet service for at least 12 months. If you sign up for new home phone service, you need to stay with us for at least 2 months.
IDAHO TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (ITSAP)
ITSAP provides for additional state credits against the recurring monthly rates for the provision of local residential service for eligible residential subscribers. The $2.50 State Local Rate Support only applies to your phone service and not internet.
The total cost of providing the intrastate credit for ITSAP shall be funded from a uniform monthly surcharge to each business and residential access line. This surcharge was effective with the implementation of the ITSAP Program, and is subject to change.
How to qualify for a ITSAP discount
Following is the criteria to be eligible for an ITSAP Program discount:
- The state credit is only available to residential subscribers if their income falls at or below 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- A qualifying customer must be Head of the Household.